In 1893 Green Bay became the headquarters of the Lake Shore Division of the Chicago & Northwestern Railway. This action resulted in expansion of the facilities at Green Bay. In 1897 the C&NW purchased land on the northwest edge of Green Bay to build a new freight yard. A new depot was to be located on the site of the old freight yard and engine house, which was the former site of the Fort Howard Military Reservation. The new yard was completed in early 1898, thereby making possible the removal of the old yard in preparation for the construction of the depot.